Wheel help

Ask any triathlon, adventure racing or multisport questions

Wheel help

Postby Michael McGeachie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Mechanical guru's

my new tubular wheels just arived - slightly later than expected unfortunately. I had planned to get them to a bike shop to get the tyres glued on by anyone who has half a clue, but will struggle with work commitments this week.

Does anyone know what they are doing with these?? I'm not trying to be a tight arse and avoid expence but would love to have them ready for the Dextro Olympic Distance Tri on Sunday.
Does it take a couple of days to do with the various steps?

Anyone??
Michael McGeachie
User

Postby Martin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:41 am

Mike

The next time I change a tubular will be the first and probably at the worst time, so I am not the most knowlegable guy around.

If you have to get it done yourself I believe that glue is put on in layers and sparingly and allowed to go off between each layer (not sure how long that is - maybe the glue instructions can help). Same with the tyre.

Now this is the important decision...how much of the wheel rim do you leave without glue to help you get it off if you need to change it due to a flat?
1. None is safest.
2. A hands width opposite the valve so that you can get a purchase on the flat tyre to enable you to rip it off. This also leaves some error margin if the tyre is stressed at the unglued point and causes some problem (like the tyre coming away from the rim), or
3. Just using dabs of glue at 8 points or so that is even riskier than 2. above but is easier still to get the tyre off.

Only once the glue is layered and gone off do you attempt to fit the tyre to the rim.

Have someone around if the glue on the hands make things too sticky!

The best advice I got was to use point 2. above and take a razor blade to cut the tyre off if it is too hard to get off by normal means.

By the way, if you need to change tyres you rely on the remnant glue to hold the new one on. Some people pre glue their spare to help with this.

Finally, if you flat in the ITU then I think your race is over since not many carry a tubular spare for the 40k distance.

Good luck with the tyres and the race.

Martin
Martin
User

Postby Michael McGeachie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Cheers Martin
After putting a post on the forum I watched a guy from Zipp give a demo on Youtube - and it was going to take way more time than I had. I ended up carrying them on the train into city when I went to work. Dropped them off at Clarence St Cycles. They are great in there as far as mechaniical assistance goes. Picked them up the next day ready to go. They have a great workshop there and were very helpful.
Michael McGeachie
User

Postby Martin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:56 am

Mike

Right choice I reckon.

Good luck with the race.

Martin
Martin
User

Return to "Ask a Triathlete"