HEART RATE MONITOR

Ask any triathlon, adventure racing or multisport questions

HEART RATE MONITOR

Postby Sarah Roosink » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Does anyone use regularly or can anyone recommend a heart rate monitor?

There are quite a few on the market and I am having trouble with choosing and deciding. Nothing too fancy, just measuring the basics. Nothing as indepth as the GARMIN probably.

Just interested if anyone has some experience with these.

Much appreciated,
Sarah :?: :P
Sarah Roosink
User

Postby Falko » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:57 am

Sarah,

I use my Polar RS200 for every workout (except the swimming). I also bought the optional foot pod, so that I get my pace and distance during running workouts. Works flawlessly, does not have any superflous features and the battery seems to be lasting well. When you work out, you can select different views on the monitor depending on whether you are doing a heart rate zone focussed session or a speed session or just a long run or cycle.
You can even synchronize it over the Internet but I don't use this feature as it does not seem to be reliable (uses the speaker of the watch to communicate).
I bought it at Rebel Sports but asked them to price match a price I had found online at a store in the south of Sydney. They were happy to do that and their policy is to then go 10% below the matched price. :D

Overall, I am very happy with it.
Cheers,

Falko

Perfect happiness is enthusiasm minus expectation.
(Sri Chimnoy)
Falko
User

HRM

Postby Sarah Roosink » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks for the tip Falko. I have looked at the Polars. I found most of the watches quite large though.

I have a Timex watch (just a stopwatch) myself so am familiar with the layout. In the end I bought a Timex Ironman T5G311 Bodylink System Heart Rate Monitor Watch. It's got all the HR's and current speed. Unfortunately its a present! So I will have to find out how it goes and borrow it! I will probably end up buying on myself at some stage. It would be extremely handy on runs and I guess the pace would correlate on the bike too?

Anyway, geez 10% off at Rebel. It makes you feel like haggling for everything. The mark-ups they must use.

Sarah
Sarah Roosink
User

Return to "Ask a Triathlete"