Salt tablets

Ask any triathlon, adventure racing or multisport questions

Salt tablets

Postby Martin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:09 pm

I am considering using salt tablets for Port 1/2 to see if they help cramping.

I have never used salt tablets before.

Has anyone experience or advice for me.

Postby steveh » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Hi Martin,
I once used them during an ironman event. Although, I would not recommend them over nutrition that contained other nutrients.

During long endurance events your body will run out of lots of nutrients, it's important to replenish them all. I'd prefer to have a sports drink that contained electolytes like magnesium. potassium and a bit of sodium, rather than pure salt tablets. I find such drinks help me avoid cramps. Vegemite sandwiches are also good in this regard.

Good luck with whatever you try. :D

Postby Nath » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi Martin,

I have suffered from cramping on my last couple of races and so I'm also looking to add some sodium to my race nutrition, see if I can avoid the dreaded cramps.

Purchased a bottle of Salt Stick salt tablets which have along with sodium other nutrients like potassium magnesium, there are other similar products in the market too I think Hammer sells something. From last weekend I've started using a couple of tablets through training without any issues and plan on using them for Port Half next weekend.

From what I have read the body can store a certain amount of salt so it doesn't hurt to add a bit of extra salt to your meals a few days out from a big race.

Good luck in Port hopefully I’ll see you up there.

Return to "Ask a Triathlete"