Running shoe lifetimes

Ask any triathlon, adventure racing or multisport questions

Running shoe lifetimes

Postby JonS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Is there a recognised guideline as to the distance you should get out of a pair of road running shoes before they should be replaced?

Postby Stephen Lennox » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi Jon,
Steve Hume might be the one to answer this.

Below is a bit of a discussion from the coolrunning site ... opic=15392

So many variables. Depends on body weight, how your feet strike the ground and what surfaces you run on. Some have a couple of pairs of shoes in rotation if they run every day. There are also indicators on the soles of your shoes that are supposed to indicate wear as well.

Personally I tend to go by feel. When I start getting niggly injuries or I start to feel the shoe has lost it cushioning I start looking for a new pair.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades
Stephen Lennox

Postby steveh » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:21 pm

Shoes are a bit like brakepads in that no one can give you an accurate idea as to how long they should last ... it all depends on how much you use them and how well you treat them.

I really don't know how many kms I get out of a shoe. I usually have a coupld of pairs in use at one time. Throwing them out when the soles get too worn, or the uppers get big holes in them.

The thread on the Coolrunning site has some good advice. :D

Postby Martin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:36 am

Much of the marathon chat says 1000k does it.

Postby Catherine » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:29 pm

In addition to worn out tread, I also read that if you sit your shoes on a table and view the shoes from behind whilst kneeling down, the shoes are probably in need of replacing if they are leaning to one side and if there is also wear on the midsole.

Return to "Ask a Triathlete"