Supplements

Ask any triathlon, adventure racing or multisport questions

Supplements

Postby Stephen Lennox » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi all,
Just asking the experts what supplements you take. I have a had a cramp in my calf lately :x and was wondering if it was due to lack of magnesium. Any advise?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades
Stephen Lennox
User

Postby Stoney » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Steve,

I've successfully used magnesium supplements to combat cramp. Taking them a couple of days before the race/training session as per manufacturers recommendation seems to help. For big races or really long training sessions, salt tablets seem to be more immediately effective. Wouldn't do ironman without them.

Not everyone needs them but I certainly do.

Cheers,
Stoney
No ride is long with good company... or failing that, a blueberry pie.
Stoney
User

Postby Martin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:28 am

Steve

I discussed cramping with my physio and he advised that
I was cramping as a result of not enough bricks. I picked them up and so far so good.

Maybe look at when you are getting cramps.

It is a hard one to crack.

Martin
Martin
User

Postby Stephen Lennox » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks guys, went to the physio last night and he said it's just a calf strain and gave me some exercises. Note to self, I must be more patient with my recovery, as it takes longer when you're old. Did I tell you I hate being old.
Will still look into the magnesium supplements though as it has been mighty hot lately.

Martin, I presume you mean doing some brick training sessions, as opposed to picking up house bricks. :shock:
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades
Stephen Lennox
User

Postby Catherine » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Steve,

Just be mindful of the possible side effects of magnesium supplementation (yes, you guessed it, the old diarrhea).

Hope the calf gets better soon.
Catherine
User

Postby emielt » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:13 am

Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulphate) baths once every 7-14 days aids with cramp and speeds recovery after hard training sessions. Also reduces exercise induced inflammation and improves sleep. There is an article in the current Australian Triathlon & Multisport magazine about recovery methods and Epsom salt baths get a mention. FYI: The same article considers the best ready-made recovery drinks (the most important thing to do after heavy exercise) are Biotest Surge, Hammer Recoverite and Endura Optimiser.
emielt
User

Return to "Ask a Triathlete"