Aero bars versus riding on the "drops"

Ask any triathlon, adventure racing or multisport questions

Aero bars versus riding on the "drops"

Postby Catherine » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:54 pm

I may be asking an obvious question but would appreciate hearing from those who have been racing with aero bars. I am comfortable riding with my hands on the drops in races. I dont have aero bars and have questioned the value in purchasing aero bars given that the races I compete in are not long distance. Provided one had good pedalling technique and cadence, to what extent would having aero bars (as opposed to riding on the drops) impact your overall time say in events limited to sprint distances?

Just interested in hearing people's views.
Catherine
User

Postby SHTark » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Cath,
Even for a short race I think you will still see an advantage. With aero bars your front-on body profile is narrower than without and on a course like Penrith which has two long straights, usually one into the wind one with it, you can notice a significant difference. You also get to relax your upper body a little bit more on aero bars rather than on the drops.

Obviously one of the keys to aero bars is getting them setup so that you are comfortable and don't get a sore back or hips, but over a short race you need a pretty bad setup to get them too bad.

I think given you can pick up aero bars for not too much you get pretty good value for your money even in a short race.

Adrian.
Train Hard, Race Harder, Party Hardest!!
SHTark
Site Admin

Postby Martin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Cath

That fine, fit and handsome athlete I tried to introduce to you on Thursday morning advised me that I should spend my money on aero bars. I would see if his advice still stands!

Martin
Martin
User

Postby Catherine » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Thank s Adrian and Martin. It's good to hear various viewpoints. The wind out at Penrith the other week certainly did make the ride challenging :oops:
Catherine
User

Return to "Ask a Triathlete"