Hornsby Pool is not yet approved. We need your help.

For everything & anything not involving racing, training or classifieds

Hornsby Pool is not yet approved. We need your help.

Postby SHTark » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 am

Hi all,

Contrary to what I advised at the second February aquathlon (which was based on a notice from council), the DA for the new Hornsby Aquatic Centre has not been approved.

Despite the very carefully worded notice on the council's website and twitter account that "Hornsby Council's plans for a new aquatic centre unanimously supported", the actual decision of the Joint Regional Planning Panel was to defer their decision because "the Panel requires the applicant to give further consideration to the access across the heritage listed Hornsby Park and would prefer a roadway that is more sensitive to the heritage significance of the Park and that will retain the CWA Building".

The JRPP is meeting this Thursday, 26 April at 7pm at Hornsby Council Chambers (Function Room 1) to consider the revised DA and we need to get some support for the centre in the room. If anyone wishes to speak at the panel meeting, you must register with the Panel Secretariat before 4pm TODAY (Monday) by calling 9228 2060 or emailing suzie.jattan@planning.nsw.gov.au.

Even if you don't register to speak, we still need a significant representation in the room supporting the centre because there has been a very vocal minority at work trying to save the CWA building at any cost.

For the original DA, council considered seven different access roads before deciding on the two way road that ran from the lights at Coronation Street through where the CWA building is now. Their further investigation as required by the JRPP involved having those seven routes independently assessed as well as another six (including three submitted by members of the public).

13 different access routes seems fairly thorough to me, especially given that at least two involved access from Dural Street and one via what is currently a fire trail on the edge of the quarry, entering the pool from what is currently the back of the grandstand.

The result of the independent assessment was that the route presented in the original DA "is still deemed to be the most appropriate from a traffic management and heritage point of view".

Feel free to get in touch with me if you would like to discuss the matter further. I hope to see some of you at Council Chambers on Thursday evening.

Train Hard, Race Harder, Party Hardest!!
Site Admin

Return to General Chat