The points system rewards members for improving their times.
Basically, you are awarded points based on your time compared to your personal 'Handicap Time'. Here's how it works:
The 'Handicap time' system works like this:
- You must be a HTC member at the time of the session to gain points.
- Your best 8 results throughout the season will count to your season total.
- The last round is for double points.
- Each round you start with 50 points then get +/- 5 points for every 1% that you are faster/slower than your handicap time (rounded to the nearest point).
E.g. equalling your handicap time gets you 50 points, going 3% slower than your handicap gets you 35 points, going 8% faster than your handicap gets you 90 points etc.
- Points are capped at a maximum of 100 per round (=10% faster than handicap time) and a minimum of 20 (6% slower).
- Volunteers receive 50 points.
- If it's your first session as a member and you don't yet have a handicap time you receive 50 points.
- At least 2 sessions must be completed to be eligible for any season awards.
- You must also volunteer at at least 1 round to be eligible for an award.
The two key elements each session are your session time and your handicap time.
Your new handicap time after each session is determined based on how much faster or slower than your handicap time you were in that session.
If you don't have a handicap time then you get 20 points for racing and you also get a brand new handicap time for next time!
There are 4 possible situations after each session:
1) you didn't yet have a handicap time:
New Handicap time = Session time + 1%
2) your session time equalled your handicap time:
New Handicap time = Old Handicap time
3) your session time was faster than your handicap time:
New Handicap time = Old Handicap time less 80% of the difference between Session time and Old Handicap time
4) your session time was slower than your handicap time:
New Handicap time = Old Handicap time plus 10% of difference (to a max of 15 secs) between Session time and Old Handicap time
At the end of each series everyone who has completed a session in that season gets 2% added to their handicap time for the new year, and anyone who has not completed a session in the past 2 years is dropped off the handicap list - they get to start all over again.
Key points to remember:
A handicap time will only change if you run and complete a race (DNF does not count).
No matter how slowly you run, your handicap time will only move out a maximum of 15 seconds per race.
Race at least once in a season to get the end of season bonus added to your handicap time.
The last race of the season is for double points, so make sure you do a PB in that race!
The handicapping system brings your handicap time crashing down fast, but it takes forever to move out again - and there is nothing you can do about it, so enjoy!
Prizes will be awarded to the mens and womens pointscore winners at the end of the season.